The Science without Borders® Challenge is a contest to get students and teachers more involved and interested in ocean conservation through art. This annual contest inspires students to be creative while promoting public awareness of the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources, contributing to the overarching goals of the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation.
The Foundation is a US-based, non-profit environmental science organization. The Foundation was established to protect and restore the world’s oceans through scientific research, outreach, and education.
The founder, His Royal Highness Prince Khaled bin Sultan of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, understands the challenges of conserving Earth’s coral reefs across oceans and political boundaries and recognizes that collaboration is vital to ocean conservation. Inspired by the working approach of Medecins Sans Frontiers, Prince Khaled proposed that Science Without Borders® be the motto and the philosophy of the Foundation.
This international art competition is open to all students 11-19 years old. Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school, or the home school equivalent. College and university students are not eligible for this contest. Work will be judged in two categories, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded for each:
- 11 – 14 year-olds
- 15 – 19 year-olds
Winners of the Science Without Borders® Challenge will be publicly announced. Prizes awarded to contestant winners are as follows:
- 1st Place: $500
- 2nd Place: $350
- 3rd Place: $200
How to Apply?
- All artwork must be an original work by the contestant and shall not infringe on any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties. For instance, drawing a character from a cartoon or movie is not considered an original work.
- The artwork must be 2D such as a painting or drawing. Acceptable media include paint, pencil, marker, crayon, ink, and oil pastel. Digitally created artwork, including photographs, are not accepted.
- You must send your original artwork. Digital copies of artwork are not permitted.
- All submissions must be made by an individual artist. Group submissions are not permitted.
- Participants may submit only 1 art piece.
- Write your first and last name and age in pencil on the back of your artwork.
- Fill out all required information on the Entry Forms (pages 5-7).
- Artwork and art descriptions may be used in publications and distributed to the media.
- The Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation reserves the right to disqualify artwork deemed offensive. 10. If the explanation of artwork or the artwork itself is plagiarized, then it will be disqualified.
- Entries that do not comply with all of the contest rules will be disqualified.
Contestants must submit an Entry Forms with their submission. It is preferred that you submit your forms online at www.lof.org/SWBChallenge. All fields on the Entry Forms must be filled out in order to be considered for awards.
All original artwork should be mailed to Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation Science Without Borders® Challenge 130 Severn Avenue, Suite 100 Annapolis, MD 21403 USA.
The deadline is Monday, April 24, 2017, by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time). All artwork must be received by this date or it will be disqualified.